Read all about the new Center for Jewish Philanthropy and get answers to some of our frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Center for Jewish Philanthropy of Greater Phoenix?
The Center for Jewish Philanthropy of Greater Phoenix (CJP) is the new name from the integration of the Jewish Community Foundation (JCF) and the Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix.
This new entity represents a shift in thinking about Jewish philanthropy; supporting community needs, being dedicated to service, and maximizing the impact we make in the community.
2. Why have the Federation and Foundation integrated to form the Center for Jewish Philanthropy (CJP)?
The Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Phoenix and the Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix integrated into a single organization in order to capitalize on our complementary business models and overlapping missions. Our intent in bringing these two Jewish philanthropic organizations together is to enhance our combined strengths and resources to better serve our diverse Jewish community in the Valley.
3. What does the Center for Jewish Philanthropy (CJP) logo represent?
The new logo reflects a strong connection to Jewish heritage and the local community and presents the new organization in an exciting and progressive way. The three letters, CJP, forged within the abstract curves of a menorah are not meant to be obvious, but a subtle design feature that is unique to the organization. Like a menorah, this logo has a flame representing the beacon that shines brightly, burns eternally, and serves as a guiding light to unite all within the Greater Phoenix Jewish community.
4. In what ways is the Center for Jewish Philanthropy (CJP) the same as the Federation or Foundation?
Of utmost importance is our commitment and dedication to serving the Greater Jewish community throughout the Phoenix area. By bringing the community together, we can celebrate, reimagine and cultivate a stronger and more diverse Jewish community.
The CJP will continue to:
- Fund and support community agencies, programs, and emergency needs
- Raise dollars to support causes in Greater Phoenix, Israel, and globally
- Be a resource for thoughtful and strategic planned giving – for individuals, families, and Jewish organizations throughout the community
- Bring the community together to celebrate, learn, reimagine, and cultivate Jewish life
- Bring you programs that you know and love including:
- B’nai Tzedek Youth Philanthropy
- Business and Professional
- Harold and Jean Grossman Israel Experience incentive grants
- Israel Missions
- Jewish summer camp scholarships
- Life and Legacy
- PJ Library
- Tax and Legal Seminar
- Women IN Philanthropy
5. In what ways is the Center for Jewish Philanthropy (CJP) different from the Federation or Foundation?
CJP aims to put donor intent at the heart of philanthropy. We want to understand your Jewish interests and help you support the projects and programs you care about most.
We plan to develop deeper, more meaningful relationships with you so that we can best meet your philanthropic objectives.
6. How will this integration impact the organization’s leadership?
A board of directors was seated in early 2021 and has been governing in a joint capacity under the volunteer leadership of Bob Silver, board chair, and Rachel Hoffer vice-chair. Richard Kasper is serving as Interim Chief Executive Officer, alongside a dynamic and growing professional team.
As we look to fill several open board seats, we are eager to identify community members who have not previously served in a leadership position with either of the two legacy organizations and who are currently interested in serving in this capacity. If this describes you, or you know of someone who could potentially serve in this role, please contact Alison Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. How will this integration affect my standing as a donor? (E.g., will I still be considered a Lion of Judah or other giving societies?)
We will continue to honor your philanthropic commitments to our community and will recognize your giving as we did before.
8. Will this integration affect my donor advised fund or my endowment fund at the Jewish Community Foundation?
No. You will continue to receive the same tailored services to aid you in fulfilling your philanthropic vision. Your fund will continue to operate as before. Oversight of all investment decisions and policies related to these funds will remain the responsibility of a separate board of directors that is solely focused on management of these assets.
9. How do I get involved with the CJP?
There are many ways to get involved and we greatly value volunteer participation in our work.
We would love the chance to talk with you and hear what your interests are in order to give you a personalized answer to this question.
Please reach out to us at 480-481-7031 or info@PhoenixCJP.org to get connected to a member of our staff.
10. I have more questions. How do I learn more?
We are here to answer all your questions. To start the conversation, you can contact us at 480-481-7031 or info@PhoenixCJP.org.
11. Who do I make my check payable to?
Please make checks payable to either the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Phoenix or the Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix. If you would prefer to make a gift online using a credit card, you can do so HERE
12. Is the CJP a 501c3?
We have filed for 501c3 status and are awaiting the IRS determination letter.
For more information, visit phoenixcjp.org.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishPhoenix assumes no responsibility for them. MORE