The BJE seeks to promote and enhance Jewish literacy and understanding, and to inspire an appreciation of Jewish heritage. For more than 50 years the BJE works to strengthen Jewish identity, love of Israel and spiritual life through a pluralistic, egalitarian, respectful learning environment. We are a communal agency which works with all ages, with Jews and non-Jews of all backgrounds through its family programs, classes and workshops, partnerships, and lectures.
Our featured programs include:
• Jewish Baby University for Expectant Parents – an exciting and informative program for expectant parents combining preparation for childbirth plus parenting for the Jewish family. Learn birthing instruction, birthing options, care of the newborn, breast & bottle feeding, etc., along with the Jewish aspects of birthing, naming, Brit Milah, child rearing and Jewish parenting. Jewish Baby University is offered three times per year.
• Hebrew High of Greater Phoenix – Hebrew High of Greater Phoenix is the only nonaffiliated Jewish learning center and community for teens from across the Valley. Providing Hebrew for credit and unique classes built on meaningful dialogue, Israel & trips, and so much more! In service for over fifty years, Hebrew High of Greater Phoenix (HH) continues to provide an unparalleled experience for Jewish teens. It is an academic as well as a social experience that is designed specifically to meet the developmental needs of adolescents. Hebrew High meets in person on Tuesdays at 7pm. Additionally, Hebrew courses meet Thursdays at 7pm.
• Adult Learning – Our daytime classes are engaging and transformative. Adults connect with diverse offerings and exceptional teachers; from Hebrew to Bible, history to current events, and Israel – there is something for everyone.
• Passages Series – The annual Passages Series is the BJE’s premier event. From serious topics to entertainment, this series of six programs from January through provides an outstanding array of engaging speakers and performers. Their topics and presentations are timely, and relevant to American Jews.
• Center for Wise Aging – our Center provides classes, a and all with the goal to educate and inspire new skills and tools that address topics related to aging through Jewish values and ethics. Our program provides a safe, and meaningful forum for lifelong learning and a new social outlet to connect with others along their journey.